A life jacket would be nice right about now.

So it’s not good news with Persephone. Her mammary tumor is just too large, aggressive, and invasive for removal to be an option. Also, with her age, she’s an anesthetic risk and the probability of her getting another one is fairly high. But more importantly, she has a small mass on her dorsal pelvic region, that is affecting her central nervous system. She’s dragging her left rear limb, and while she has sensation, she doesn’t have proprioceptive reflexes. The doctor is fairly certain it’s cancerous, and it cannot be removed. So even if I went forward with removal of the mammary tumor, the cancer would claim her anyway. The doctor prescribed metacam, which is an NSAID, just to make her more comfortable. It seems to be working, in that she’s slightly more active and trying to climb the bars of her cage like she did in her youth. She does have some side effects, including decreased appetite and some diarrhea. But I think the pros outweigh the cons at this point. Her appetite is not decreased when it comes to yummy items – like peanut butter. I think it’s her favorite thing on the planet. Right now the plan is to spoil her rotten and let her eat whatever she wants until she lets me know that she’s no longer comfortable…

Let’s move on to more uplifting topics, shall we? This weekend was nice. Scott was in town, and we went to the TG (biweekly social event at the vet school w/BBQ , lots of food, and good conversation) Friday evening, after I gave him a tour of the lovely anatomy cooler and the histo lab. Saturday we took it easy, ran errands, and ate a very indulgent dinner and dessert. On Sunday we went on a private tour of PAWS and their sister facility, ARK2000. They are not open to the public, but do a tour for UC Davis students (and their guests) once a year. It was pretty fabulous, with lions, tigers, bears (oh my!), elephants, and a few other random animals. They take wonderful care of their animals, and we had a great time. We carpooled with Sharon and Maggie, since it’s an hour to the first facility and then about 45 minutes to the second. It was a full day, and we stopped for yummy Chinese on the way home. Once Scott and I got back to our apartment, we only had about 30 minutes before it was time to take him to the airport to fly home. I hate taking him there, and I hate when he leaves. We’re not sure when he’ll be back next, but I know it’s not soon enough.

The next three weeks are going to be horrendous. This week I’m in class 9-5 every day, with food animal nursing Friday night. Next week is also packed, including a neuroscience exam and a nutrition exam. The week after that, I have my STAR research application due, a midterm paper due, and our cardio physiology final (which seven people FAILED last year!!). Oh and I can’t forget the two cardio quizzes (one tomorrow) and two canine head anatomy quizzes in that time period. I feel very overwhelmed right now and like I’m drowning. It’s impossible to stay ahead of everything, and I’m very worried. At this particular moment, I’m not enjoying vet school.

I just want to survive this quarter. The first step being studying for tomorrow’s cardio quiz.


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s